Yearly, illness bugs sweep throughout nations like locusts, piercing our physique’s pure defenses and leaving us with runny noses, sore throats, fevers, and lots of different debilitating signs.
And whereas everybody hates getting sick, it’s particularly aggravating for us health people. It not solely knocks us out of our routines for days and even weeks, as soon as we’re higher, it takes nearly as lengthy to get again to the place we left off when it comes to efficiency.
That’s why I make the most of the varied methods given on this article to spice up my immune system and beat illness bugs, and whereas I nonetheless get a chilly a couple of times per 12 months, they’re very delicate and final only some days.
So, let’s begin with discussing what the immune system is and the way it works, after which we’ll get to learn how to strengthen it and stop and shortly overcome illness.
The immune system is an amazingly complicated community of cells, tissues, and organs that defend the physique towards “assaults” by exterior invaders. Most of those invaders are tiny organisms like micro organism, parasites, and infection-causing fungi, and viruses, all of that are capable of flourish within the human physique.
The varieties of invaders on the market quantity within the tens of millions, and the immune system’s job is to acknowledge and maintain them out. Some inevitably sneak by the physique’s defenses, although, and the immune system hunts them down and wipes them out with particular varieties of fluids and cells.
For instance, check out the next picture:
Within the picture on the left, you possibly can see two giant micro organism that trigger gonorrhea, aspect by aspect. Within the picture on the precise, you possibly can see these micro organism “swallowed up” by a big immune cell generally known as a neutrophil, which engulfs and kills the invading micro organism.
The more healthy your immune system is, the sooner and extra powerfully it will possibly defeat invaders, thus stopping illness in lots of instances, and lowering severity and length in others.
Contemplating the truth that common train improves nearly each side of our well being, it’s no shock that it directly improves immune function.
It’s, nonetheless, doable to have an excessive amount of of a superb factor: too much exercise can actually impair the immune system, which is likely one of the symptoms of overtraining. Finally what’s “an excessive amount of train” varies from physique to physique, however my expertise working with hundreds of individuals has taught me this:
It’s tougher to overwhelm the immune system with train than you would possibly suppose. And that’s very true once you’re consuming loads of healthy foods and getting sufficient rest and recovery. That mentioned, I usually suggest that individuals restrict their complete weekly train to eight hours or much less, and that they embody sooner or later of no train in any respect every week.
Exercising When Sick
I completely perceive the need to train when sick. When you’ve established a superb train routine, you actually don’t like messing with it.
The truth is intense train is simply going to make the illness worse, although. Why? As a result of intense train temporarily depresses immune function, which provides the invaders extra time to wreak havoc in your physique.
That mentioned, animal research has proven that gentle train (20 to 30 minutes of sunshine jogging on a treadmill) carried out whereas contaminated with the influenza virus boosts immune perform and speeds restoration.
Comparable results have been seen in human studies as properly, which is why I like to recommend not more than Three periods of 20 to 30 minutes of sunshine cardio when sick (it is best to by no means get too winded to talk).
Analysis has proven that smokers generally get sick more often than non-smokers and that people who smoke are much more likely to contract respiratory diseases than non-smokers. Moreover, cold and flu viruses make smokers sicker than non-smokers.
The reply, after all, is to give up smoking, and whereas I’ve by no means smoked, I might undoubtedly use this book to give up if I did–it’s a time-proven, extremely successfully instrument for quitting simply and completely.
There are larger issues with being obese or overweight than the way you look: it’s extremely unhealthy, increasing the risk for all kinds of disease together with sort 2 diabetes, most cancers, reproductive issues, coronary heart illness, and extra.
Research has proven that one of many causes for that is the persistent systemic irritation that comes with being obese or overweight, which impairs immune perform, thus increasing the likelihood of infection and the duration of sickness.
The answer is clear, and whereas many individuals are made to consider that losing fat and building muscle is extremely arduous or sophisticated, it’s not. It doesn’t require that you simply reside within the fitness center…. It doesn’t require that you simply observe unusual, overly restrictive diets… and it doesn’t require that starve your self and even battle with starvation.
All wholesome weight reduction requires is wise meal planning that features loads of tasty, nutritious meals, and a proper exercise program that makes use of average quantities of weightlifting and cardiovascular train to burn energy, construct muscle, and keep well being.
The meals you eat have a significant affect on the competence of your immune system. Micronutrients similar to zinc, selenium, iron, copper, beta-carotene, nutritional vitamins A, D, C, and E all play important roles in keeping your immune system strong.
The much less wholesome, micronutrient-dense meals you eat, the extra seemingly you’re to develop deficiencies within the many vitamins and minerals your physique wants to keep up optimum well being and immune perform. This, in flip, impairs immune function.
Ideally, we’d get all the nutritional vitamins and minerals we want from the meals we eat, however that is simpler mentioned than completed.
Personally, I favor an easier strategy. I make sure that the vast majority of my energy come from nutrient-dense meals, like the next:
- Greens (chard, collard greens, kale, mustard greens, spinach)
- Bell peppers
- Brussels sprouts
- Baked potatoes
- Candy potatoes
- Low-fat yogurt
- Seeds (flax, pumpkin, sesame, and sunflower)
- Beans (garbanzo, kidney, navy, pinto)
- Lentils, peas
- Almonds, cashews, peanuts
- Barley, oats, quinoa, brown rice
- Salmon, halibut, cod, scallops, shrimp, tuna
- Lean beef, lamb, venison
- Rooster, turkey
And I take a high-quality multivitamin complement day by day to make sure I don’t turn out to be poor in something necessary. Right here’s what I’m at present utilizing and liking:
Whereas train falls below the banner of way of life, it deserved its personal part. On this part, I wish to talk about a number of different lifestyle-related components of immunity.
Persistent Stress Will increase Danger of Illness
Research has proven that whereas acute stress enhances immune perform (the great previous “struggle or flight” mechanism working for us), persistent stress suppresses it.
So, attempt to not sweat the little annoyances a lot, steer clear of unfavorable folks that attempt to maintain you down, keep away from overtraining within the fitness center, take a while for your self daily to relax out, and keep away from conflicts by making an attempt to deal with others the way in which you’d prefer to be handled, and also you’ll not solely be happier in life, however you’ll get sick much less usually.
Insufficient Sleep Will increase Danger of Illness
For generations, moms have been telling their youngsters to get sufficient sleep or they’ll get sick…and it turns on the market’s some reality in it.
Analysis has demonstrated that acute sleep deprivation acutely suppresses immune function, and the longer sleep is restricted, the more likely you are to get sick. And never solely chilly and flu sick, however coronary heart illness and diabetes sick as properly.
The underside line is, like smoking and over-consumption of alcohol, usually not getting sufficient sleep is extremely unhealthy and, over time, can contribute to every kind of illness and dysfunction. What’s enough sleep varies from individual to individual, although. Try my article on how to sleep better for extra data.
Have Extra Intercourse to Increase Your Immune System
You most likely don’t want a lot convincing to have extra intercourse, however right here’s one more reason:
Analysis has proven that regular sex boosts immune function, and thus helps your physique struggle off illness bugs just like the flu and different micro organism and viruses.
Particularly, the examine discovered that college-aged folks having intercourse a couple of times per week had larger ranges of immunoglobulin A (IgA), the physique’s first line of protection towards chilly viruses, than folks having intercourse much less or extra (bummer) steadily. Moreover, the examine additionally discovered that larger ranges of satisfaction and length in relationships had been related to larger ranges of IgA.
So, have extra intercourse, get pleasure from your relationship, and keep wholesome.
Vitamin C is present in excessive concentrations in immune cells and is shortly consumed throughout infections.
Research has proven that common consumption of vitamin C as much as about 1 gram per day helps scale back signs and shorten the length of respiratory tract infections just like the widespread chilly. Supplementation with vitamin C additionally helps reduce systemic inflammation and cortisol levels, which might additional enhance immune power.
This is the reason I complement with 1 gram per day, and right here’s the product I take:
Fish oil, which was as soon as believed to suppressed immune perform, really enhances it by bettering the perform of B cells, a kind of cell very important to the immune system’s defenses.
Not all fish oils are equal, nonetheless. The cheaper choices include an inferior, processed type of the oil (ethyl ester), which is much more resistant to the enzymatic process by which the physique breaks the oil down to be used. Not solely that, however the cheaper oils even have low ranges of omega-Three fatty acids, requiring that you simply take a number of handful of capsules daily to succeed in the recommended 3.5 to 4.5 grams of omega-3 fatty acids per day.
As an alternative, you need the pure trigclyeride type of fish oil, which is better absorbed by the body, and which has larger concentrations of omega-Three fatty acids. And that’s why I purchase and use this product:
Nordic Naturals is likely one of the most revered manufacturers of fish oil available on the market, and this particular product is a “double power” EPA/DHA system, with 650mg of EPA and 450 mg of DHA in every serving. Most different fish oils include half of that per serving.
Vitamin D deficiency has been related to an elevated threat of creating all kinds of ailments, similar to osteoporosis, heart disease, stroke, some cancers, type 1 diabetes, and multiple sclerosis, tuberculosis and even the flu.
Moreover, in accordance with research published by the Center for Disease Control in 2011, 8% of Individuals are vitamin D poor, and 25% are thought-about “in danger” of a deficiency. Different research published in 2010 confirmed that just about 70% of breast-fed infants had been vitamin D poor at one month, which might be significantly dangerous contemplating how necessary this vitamin is in general well being and improvement.
And whereas we will get vitamin D by going within the solar for about 15 to 25 minutes per day, few are capable of usually do this. As an alternative, we will simply take a day by day complement. How a lot ought to we be taking, although?
A committee of the U.S. Endocrine Society not too long ago convened to review the evidence, and concluded that 600-1,000 IU per day is enough for ages 1-18, and 1,500-2,000 IU per day is enough for ages 19+.
Right here’s the product I take advantage of:
Echinacea is a kind of flowering plant within the daisy household, and it has lengthy been used as an natural product to assist struggle colds and different widespread sicknesses.
Echinacea’s use as an immune booster has been controversial in scientific circles. There’s research showing it to be effective in each lowering the probability of getting sick and the length of illness, and there’s research demonstrating no such benefits. That mentioned, a number of medical trials which have didn’t show immune advantages have been criticized for utilizing inferior types of echinacea extracts and for utilizing dosages too small to do something.
Whereas I don’t take echinacea year-round, I do take about Three grams per day if I’m sick or in shut contact with sick folks (workplace or household). Right here’s what I take:
Zinc is a vital mineral that performs an important position in many various features of mobile metabolism, including immune function.
As zinc is crucial to the formation of cells used by the immune system to fight off invaders, making certain your consumption is enough is a vital a part of holding your immune system robust.
Chances are you’ll be getting sufficient zinc in your eating regimen, so right here’s a straightforward option to decide when you’re poor:
- Get a superb liquid zinc complement, like this. Hold it within the fridge.
- Take away it from the fridge and let sit for 2 hours at room temperature.
- Chorus from consuming or smoking for an hour, after which take a sip of it (5 – 10 ml) and swirl it round in your mouth for 10 seconds.
- Assess your zinc ranges as follows:
- Very Poor: If it tastes like plain water for all 10 seconds, you’re severely poor and may complement with about 150 mg of zinc per day to right, and retest after per week.
- Fairly Poor: If it first tastes like water after which, inside the ten seconds of the check, it tastes dry or metallic, this means a average deficiency. Complement with about 100 mg of zinc per day to right, and retest after per week.
- Barely Poor: Should you instantly discover a slight dry, metallic style, and it will increase with time over the ten second interval, this means a minor deficiency. Complement with about 50 mg per day to right, and retest after per week.
- Ample: If the dry, metallic style is fast, robust, and unsightly, this means no deficiency is current. It’s seemingly that your eating regimen is offering adequate zinc. You possibly can retest each couple of weeks to make sure you haven’t developed a deficiency.
Should you do the above check and uncover you’re poor in zinc, I like to recommend you choose up some zinc gluconate and complement accordingly.
Should you discover and deal with a deficiency, you possibly can stop it from recurring by getting wherever from 15 – 150 mg of zinc per day, primarily based in your physique’s wants. You possibly can get hold of this by means of food or supplementation.
Aged Garlic Extract
Like echinacea, garlic has a protracted historical past of use for preventing infections, and trendy science has confirmed its effectiveness.
Aged garlic extract is especially efficient: research has proven that it reduces the severity and quantity of signs skilled whereas sick with a chilly or the flu.
Like echinacea, I don’t take aged garlic extract until I’m sick or round sick folks, and once I do, I take about 1 gram per day. Right here’s what I take advantage of:
Ginseng is likely one of the most well-known oriental medicinal herbs, and has lengthy been used to deal with quite a lot of issues. Its position as an immune modulator is widely known in scientific circles, and analysis has proven that regular supplementation boosts immune function.
It’s generally recommended that you simply take ginseng dietary supplements for lower than Three months at a time, so I embody it in my supplementation routine once I’m sick or round sick folks, and once I do, I take about 2 grams per day. You need the Asian (panax) type, and right here’s what I take:
Probiotics are good micro organism in your digestive tract, and analysis has proven that sure sorts not solely assist in digesting your meals, they also build up the immune system.
There’s an issue, although, as reported by the American Academy of Microbiology: lots of the probiotic merchandise available on the market are crap. In lots of instances, the micro organism are lifeless, and thus the merchandise are nugatory. That is very true within the case of merchandise that embody probiotics as a “bonus” (the processing of such merchandise kills the micro organism), in addition to low-cost merchandise that don’t should be refrigerated.
That’s why I follow NOW Meals, a extremely revered model that has undergone fairly a little bit of scrutiny through the years in the way in which of third get together testing and are available out unscathed. Right here’s the product I take advantage of, and I take one capsule per day throughout flu season or once I’m sick or round sick folks:
Hold this within the fridge to maintain the micro organism alive.
+ Scientific References
- Holick MF, Binkley NC, Bischoff-Ferrari HA, et al. Evaluation, treatment, and prevention of vitamin D deficiency: An endocrine society clinical practice guideline. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2011;96(7):1911-1930. doi:10.1210/jc.2011-0385
- Martineau AR, Jolliffe DA, Hooper RL, et al. Vitamin D supplementation to prevent acute respiratory tract infections: Systematic review and meta-analysis of individual participant data. BMJ. 2017;356. doi:10.1136/bmj.i6583
- Ginde AA, Blatchford P, Breese K, et al. High-Dose Monthly Vitamin D for Prevention of Acute Respiratory Infection in Older Long-Term Care Residents: A Randomized Clinical Trial. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2017;65(3):496-503. doi:10.1111/jgs.14679
- Bouillon R, Carmeliet G, Verlinden L, et al. Vitamin D and human health: Lessons from vitamin D receptor null mice. Endocr Rev. 2008;29(6):726-776. doi:10.1210/er.2008-0004
- Bikle DD. Vitamin D and bone. Curr Osteoporos Rep. 2012;10(2):151-159. doi:10.1007/s11914-012-0098-z
- Annweiler C, Rolland Y, Schott AM, Blain H, Vellas B, Beauchet O. Serum vitamin D deficiency as a predictor of incident non-Alzheimer dementias: A 7-year longitudinal study. Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord. 2012;32(4):273-278. doi:10.1159/000334944
- Huang Y, Li X, Wang M, et al. Lipoprotein lipase links vitamin D, insulin resistance, and type 2 diabetes: A cross-sectional epidemiological study. Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2013;12(1):17. doi:10.1186/1475-2840-12-17
- Pilz S, Tomaschitz A, Drechsler C, Dekker JM, März W. Vitamin D deficiency and myocardial diseases. Mol Nutr Food Res. 2010;54(8):1103-1113. doi:10.1002/mnfr.200900474
- F. Holick M. Vitamin D: Evolutionary, Physiological and Health Perspectives. Curr Drug Targets. 2010;12(1):4-18. doi:10.2174/138945011793591635
- Hemilä H, Chalker E. Vitamin C for preventing and treating the common cold. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013;2013(1). doi:10.1002/14651858.CD000980.pub4
- Anderson TW, Suranyi G, Beaton GH. The effect on winter illness of large doses of vitamin C. Can Med Assoc J. 1974;111(1):31-36. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/4601508. Accessed March 24, 2020.
- Carr AC, Maggini S. Vitamin C and immune function. Nutrients. 2017;9(11). doi:10.3390/nu9111211
- Hemilä H. Zinc lozenges and the common cold: a meta-analysis comparing zinc acetate and zinc gluconate, and the role of zinc dosage. JRSM Open. 2017;8(5):205427041769429. doi:10.1177/2054270417694291
- Singh M. Zinc for the common cold. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21328251. Accessed March 24, 2020.
- Mohsenpour B. Relation between serum zinc levels and recurrent urinary tract infections in female patients: A case-control study. – PubMed – NCBI. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31456957. Accessed March 24, 2020.
- Eijkelkamp BA, Morey JR, Neville SL, et al. Dietary zinc and the control of Streptococcus pneumoniae infection. PLoS Pathog. 2019;15(8):e1007957. doi:10.1371/journal.ppat.1007957
- Niccum BA, Stein DJ, Behm BW, Hays RA. Zinc Deficiency and the Recurrence of Clostridium difficile Infection after Fecal Microbiota Transplant: A Retrospective Cohort Study. J Nutr Metab. 2018;2018:9682975. doi:10.1155/2018/9682975
- High KP, Case D, Hurd D, et al. A Randomized, Controlled Trial of Panax quinquefolius Extract (CVT-E002) to Reduce Respiratory Infection in Patients With Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia. J Support Oncol. 2012;10(5):195-201. doi:10.1016/j.suponc.2011.10.005
- Supe A, Purandare H. Immunomodulatory role of Tinospora cordifolia as an adjuvant in surgical treatment of diabetic foot ulcers: a prospective randomized controlled study. Indian J Med Sci. 2007;61(6):347. doi:10.4103/0019-5359.32682
- McElhaney JE, Goel V, Toane B, Hooten J, Shan JJ. Efficacy of COLD-fX in the prevention of respiratory symptoms in community-dwelling adults: A randomized, double-blinded, placebo controlled trial. J Altern Complement Med. 2006;12(2):153-157. doi:10.1089/acm.2006.12.153
- McElhaney JE, Gravenstein S, Cole SK, et al. A Placebo-Controlled Trial of a Proprietary Extract of North American Ginseng (CVT-E002) to Prevent Acute Respiratory Illness in Institutionalized Older Adults. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2004;52(1):13-19. doi:10.1111/j.1532-5415.2004.52004.x
- Qi B, Wang S, Wang Q, et al. Characterization and immunostimulating effects on murine peritoneal macrophages of a novel protein isolated from Panax quinquefolius L. J Ethnopharmacol. 2016;193:700-705. doi:10.1016/j.jep.2016.10.034
- Yan J, Ma Y, Zhao F, Gu W, Jiao Y. Identification of immunomodulatory signatures induced by american ginseng in murine immune cells. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2013;2013:972814. doi:10.1155/2013/972814
- Ghosh R, Smith SA, Nwangwa EE, et al. Panax quinquefolius (North American ginseng) cell suspension culture as a source of bioactive polysaccharides: Immunostimulatory activity and characterization of a neutral polysaccharide AGC1. Int J Biol Macromol. 2019;139:221-232. doi:10.1016/j.ijbiomac.2019.07.215
- Jeong YY, Park HJ, Cho YW, et al. Aged red garlic extract reduces cigarette smoke extract-induced cell death in human bronchial smooth muscle cells by increasing intracellular glutathione levels. Phyther Res. 2012;26(1):18-25. doi:10.1002/ptr.3502
- Yeh YY, Liu L. Cholesterol-lowering effect of garlic extracts and organosulfur compounds: human and animal studies. J Nutr. 2001;131(3s):989S-93S. doi:10.1093/jn/131.3.989S
- V.N. L, N. A, I. Z, et al. Beneficial effects of aged garlic extract and coenzyme Q10 on vascular elasticity and endothelial function: the FAITH randomized clinical trial. Nutrition. 2013;29(1):71-75. http://ovidsp.ovid.com/ovidweb.cgi?T=JS&CSC=Y&NEWS=N&PAGE=fulltext&D=medl&AN=22858191. Accessed March 24, 2020.
- Budoff MJ, Takasu J, Flores FR, et al. Inhibiting progression of coronary calcification using Aged Garlic Extract in patients receiving statin therapy: A preliminary study. Prev Med (Baltim). 2004;39(5):985-991. doi:10.1016/j.ypmed.2004.04.012
- Ried K, Frank OR, Stocks NP. Aged garlic extract reduces blood pressure in hypertensives: A dose-response trial. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2013;67(1):64-70. doi:10.1038/ejcn.2012.178
- Josling P. Preventing the common cold with a garlic supplement: a double-blind, placebo-controlled survey. Adv Ther. 18(4):189-193. doi:10.1007/bf02850113
- Nantz MP, Rowe CA, Muller CE, Creasy RA, Stanilka JM, Percival SS. Supplementation with aged garlic extract improves both NK and γδ-T cell function and reduces the severity of cold and flu symptoms: A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled nutrition intervention. Clin Nutr. 2012;31(3):337-344. doi:10.1016/j.clnu.2011.11.019
- Richard S. Rivlin. Historical Perspective on the Use of Garlic. J Nutr. 2001;131(2):604S-615S. doi:10.1093/JN
- Badar VA, Thawani VR, Wakode PT, et al. Efficacy of Tinospora cordifolia in allergic rhinitis. J Ethnopharmacol. 2005;96(3):445-449. doi:10.1016/j.jep.2004.09.034
- Lizogub VG, Riley DS, Heger M. Efficacy of a Pelargonium Sidoides Preparation in Patients With the Common Cold: A Randomized, Double Blind, Placebo-Controlled Clinical Trial. Explor J Sci Heal. 2007;3(6):573-584. doi:10.1016/j.explore.2007.09.004
- Agbabiaka TB, Guo R, Ernst E. Pelargonium sidoides for acute bronchitis: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Phytomedicine. 2008;15(5):378-385. doi:10.1016/j.phymed.2007.11.023
- Janecki A, Conrad A, Engels I, Frank U, Kolodziej H. Evaluation of an aqueous-ethanolic extract from Pelargonium sidoides (EPs® 7630) for its activity against group A-streptococci adhesion to human HEp-2 epithelial cells. J Ethnopharmacol. 2011;133(1):147-152. doi:10.1016/j.jep.2010.09.018
- Watzl B, Bub A, Briviba K, Rechkemmer G. Acute intake of moderate amounts of red wine or alcohol has no effect on the immune system of healthy men. Eur J Nutr. 2002;41(6):264-270. doi:10.1007/s00394-002-0384-0
- Watzl B, Bub A, Pretzer G, Roser S, Barth SW, Rechkemmer G. Daily moderate amounts of red wine or alcohol have no effect on the immune system of healthy men. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2004;58(1):40-45. doi:10.1038/sj.ejcn.1601742
- Díaz LE, Montero A, González-Gross M, Vallejo AI, Romeo J, Marcos A. Influence of alcohol consumption on immunological status: A review. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2002;56:S50-S53. doi:10.1038/sj.ejcn.1601486
- Kornum JB, Due KM, Nørgaard M, et al. Alcohol drinking and risk of subsequent hospitalisation with pneumonia. Eur Respir J. 2012;39(1):149-155. doi:10.1183/09031936.00000611
- Cohen S, Janicki-Deverts D, Doyle WJ, et al. Alcohol and the Immune System. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109(16):5995-5999. doi:10.1073/pnas.1118355109
- Kiecolt-Glaser JK, Garner W, Speicher C, Penn GM, Holliday J, Glaser R. Psychosocial modifiers of immunocompetence in medical students. Psychosom Med. 1984;46(1):7-14. doi:10.1097/00006842-198401000-00003
- Mehta P, Mcauley DF, Brown M, et al. Correspondence COVID-19 : consider cytokine storm syndromes and. Lancet. 2020;6736(20):19-20. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(20)30628-0
- Cohen S, Janicki-Deverts D, Doyle WJ, et al. Chronic stress, glucocorticoid receptor resistance, inflammation, and disease risk. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109(16):5995-5999. doi:10.1073/pnas.1118355109
- Sehgal A, Mignot E. Genetics of sleep and sleep disorders. Cell. 2011;146(2):194-207. doi:10.1016/j.cell.2011.07.004
- Prather AA, Janicki-Deverts D, Hall MH, Cohen S. Behaviorally Assessed Sleep and Susceptibility to the Common Cold. Sleep. 2015;38(9):1353-1359. doi:10.5665/sleep.4968
- Ambrosius U, Lietzenmaier S, Wehrle R, et al. Heritability of Sleep Electroencephalogram. Biol Psychiatry. 2008;64(4):344-348. doi:10.1016/j.biopsych.2008.03.002
- De Gennaro L, Marzano C, Fratello F, et al. The electroencephalographic fingerprint of sleep is genetically determined: A twin study. Ann Neurol. 2008;64(4):455-460. doi:10.1002/ana.21434
- Killgore WDS. Transcriptional Signatures of Sleep Duration Discordance in Monozygotic Twins. In: Progress in Brain Research. Vol 185. Elsevier B.V.; 2010:105-129. doi:10.1016/B978-0-444-53702-7.00007-5
- Sundelin T, Lekander M, Sorjonen K, Axelsson J. Negative effects of restricted sleep on facial appearance and social appeal. R Soc Open Sci. 2017;4(5). doi:10.1098/rsos.160918
- Magnavita N, Garbarino S. Sleep, health and wellness at work: A scoping review. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2017;14(11). doi:10.3390/ijerph14111347
- Killgore WDS. Effects of sleep deprivation on cognition. In: Progress in Brain Research. Vol 185. Elsevier B.V.; 2010:105-129. doi:10.1016/B978-0-444-53702-7.00007-5
- Nedeltcheva A V., Kilkus JM, Imperial J, Schoeller DA, Penev PD. Insufficient sleep undermines dietary efforts to reduce adiposity. Ann Intern Med. 2010;153(7):435. doi:10.1059/0003-4819-153-7-201010050-00006
- Nieman DC, Wentz LM. The compelling link between physical activity and the body’s defense system. J Sport Heal Sci. 2019;8(3):201-217. doi:10.1016/j.jshs.2018.09.009
- Hoffman MD, Fogard K. Demographic characteristics of 161-km ultramarathon runners. Res Sport Med. 2012;20(1):59-69. doi:10.1080/15438627.2012.634707
- Hoffman MD, Krishnan E. Health and exercise-related medical issues among 1,212 ultramarathon runners: Baseline findings from the Ultrarunners Longitudinal TRAcking (ULTRA) Study. PLoS One. 2014;9(1):e83867. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0083867
- Mårtensson S, Nordebo K, Malm C. High training volumes are associated with a low number of self-reported sick days in elite endurance athletes. J Sport Sci Med. 2014;13(4):929-933. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25435787/. Accessed March 24, 2020.
- Fondell E, Lagerros YT, Sundberg CJ, et al. Physical activity, stress, and self-reported upper respiratory tract infection. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2011;43(2):272-279. doi:10.1249/MSS.0b013e3181edf108
- Bonini M, Gramiccioni C, Fioretti D, et al. Asthma, allergy and the olympics: A 12-year survey in elite athletes. Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol. 2015;15(2):184-192. doi:10.1097/ACI.0000000000000149
- Derman W, Schwellnus M, Jordaan E. Clinical characteristics of 385 illnesses of athletes with impairment reported on the web-iiss system during the london 2012 paralympic games. PM R. 2014;6(8 SUPPL.):S23-30. doi:10.1016/j.pmrj.2014.05.016
- Campbell JP, Turner JE. Debunking the myth of exercise-induced immune suppression: Redefining the impact of exercise on immunological health across the lifespan. Front Immunol. 2018;9(APR). doi:10.3389/fimmu.2018.00648
- Spence L, Brown WJ, Pyne DB, et al. Incidence, etiology, and symptomatology of upper respiratory illness in elite athletes. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2007;39(4):577-586. doi:10.1249/mss.0b013e31802e851a
- Campbell JP, Turner JE. Debunking the myth of exercise-induced immune suppression: Redefining the impact of exercise on immunological health across the lifespan. Front Immunol. 2018;9(APR). doi:10.3389/fimmu.2018.00648
- Murphy EA, Davis JM, Carmichael MD, Gangemi JD, Ghaffar A, Mayer EP. Exercise stress increases susceptibility to influenza infection. Brain Behav Immun. 2008;22(8):1152-1155. doi:10.1016/j.bbi.2008.06.004
- Heath GW, Ford ES, Craven TE, Macera CA, Jackson KL, Pate RR. Exercise and the incidence of upper respiratory tract infections. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 1991;23(2):152-157. doi:10.1249/00005768-199102000-00002
- Nieman DC, Henson DA, Fagoaga OR, et al. Change in salivary IgA following a competitive marathon race. Int J Sports Med. 2002;23(1):69-75. doi:10.1055/s-2002-19375
- Mackinnon LT, Ginn E, Seymour GJ. Decreased salivary immunoglobulin A secretion rate after intense interval exercise in elite kayakers. Eur J Appl Physiol Occup Physiol. 1993;67(2):180-184. doi:10.1007/bf00376664
- Kakanis MW, Peake J, Brenu EW, et al. The open window of susceptibility to infection after acute exercise in healthy young male elite athletes. Exerc Immunol Rev. 2010;16:119-137. doi:10.1016/j.jsams.2010.10.642
- Kostka T, Berthouze SE, Lacour JR, Bonnefoy M. The symptomatology of upper respiratory tract infections and exercise in elderly people. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2000;32(1):46-51. doi:10.1097/00005768-200001000-00008
- Walsh NP, Gleeson M, Shephard RJ, et al. Position statement part one: Immune function and exercise. Exerc Immunol Rev. 2011;17:6-63. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21446352. Accessed March 24, 2020.
- Walsh NP, Gleeson M, Pyne DB, et al. Position statement part two: Maintaining immune health. Exerc Immunol Rev. 2011;17:64-103. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21446353. Accessed March 24, 2020.
- Baik I, Curhan GC, Rimm EB, Bendich A, Willett WC, Fawzi WW. A prospective study of age and lifestyle factors in relation to community-acquired pneumonia in US men and women. Arch Intern Med. 2000;160(20):3082-3088. doi:10.1001/archinte.160.20.3082
- Romaniszyn D, Pobiega M, Wójkowska-Mach J, et al. The general status of patients and limited physical activity as risk factors of Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus occurrence in long-term care facilities residents in Krakow, Poland. BMC Infect Dis. 2014;14(1):271. doi:10.1186/1471-2334-14-271
- Leveille SG, Gray S, Lacroix AZ, Ferrucci L, Black DJ, Guralnik JM. Physical inactivity and smoking increase risk for serious infections in older women. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2000;48(12):1582-1588. doi:10.1111/j.1532-5415.2000.tb03867.x
- Pape K, Ryttergaard L, Rotevatn TA, et al. Leisure-Time Physical Activity and the Risk of Suspected Bacterial Infections. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2016;48(9):1737-1744. doi:10.1249/MSS.0000000000000953
- Warburton DER, Bredin SSD. Health benefits of physical activity: A systematic review of current systematic reviews. Curr Opin Cardiol. 2017;32(5):541-556. doi:10.1097/HCO.0000000000000437
- Brodin P, Jojic V, Gao T, et al. Variation in the human immune system is largely driven by non-heritable influences. Cell. 2015;160(1-2):37-47. doi:10.1016/j.cell.2014.12.020
- Mikkola J, Rusko H, Izquierdo M, Gorostiaga EM, Häkkinen K. Neuromuscular and cardiovascular adaptations during concurrent strength and endurance training in untrained men. Int J Sports Med. 2012;33(9):702-710. doi:10.1055/s-0031-1295475
- Riou J, Hauser A, Counotte MJ, Althaus CL. Adjusted age-specific case fatality ratio during the COVID-19 epidemic in Hubei, China, January and February 2020. medRxiv. March 2020:2020.03.04.20031104. doi:10.1101/2020.03.04.20031104
- Paget J, Spreeuwenberg P, Charu V, et al. Global mortality associated with seasonal influenza epidemics: New burden estimates and predictors from the GLaMOR Project. J Glob Health. 2019;9(2). doi:10.7189/jogh.09.020421
- Estimating the infection and case fatality ratio for COVID-19 using age-adjusted data from the outbreak on the Diamond Princess cruise ship | CMMID Repository. https://cmmid.github.io/topics/covid19/severity/diamond_cruise_cfr_estimates.html. Accessed March 24, 2020.
- Wu JT, Leung K, Bushman M, et al. Estimating clinical severity of COVID-19 from the transmission dynamics in Wuhan, China. Nat Med. March 2020:1-5. doi:10.1038/s41591-020-0822-7
Should you loved this text, get weekly updates. It is free.
Nice! You are subscribed.
100% Privateness. We do not lease or share our e mail lists.